Friday, January 6, 2012

To Be or Not To Be, Why Is That Always The Question?

I have just noticed that there is a similarity in all of my blog posts; they were all written between the hours of one and two o'clock in the morning. Not exactly the best time for trying to focus or working to clearly express the thoughts that because of the late hour where already a bit foggy. Leading me to ask myself do I really have time for this? Is there time to learn a new craft and actually become good at it. Is this meant to be, I don't have to give up but maybe I should just wait for another time in my life when "things" aren't so crazy. But when will that time come? I have been putting this off and only toyed with the idea of writing since before the birth of my first child who is now twenty one. If a perfect time hasn't arrived in all these years, how can I be sure that one ever will.

The one thing I do have going for me is determination. Throughout life I have had many things stand in my way which in time I have learned to over come. I know what it is to want something and fight for it, I refuse to surrender. My mother calls this trait my "Pit Bull Mentality". Once I get something in my head, I latch onto it and never let go. It is because of this personal trait I know I will never quit trying to learn how to write a manuscript that is more than suitable for middle grade readers.

For many people publication is the goal and they will not be satisfied until that happens. As crazy as this may sound my goal is to get these characters out of my head and placed firmly into a story that will impact the life of the reader. It is more important to me that a single reader be able to relate to, learn from, and enjoy my work, than it is to win an award or sell a hundred copies of a book and not have it touch someones life.

I just want to write a book that I can be proud of. If I can't find a publisher who is interested, I'll pay kodak or another of these scrap booking places to publish it for $20 a copy and I will give one to each of my children as a family heirloom. Maybe it will motivate one of their children's children to cultivate the "Pit Bull Mentality" and go after their dreams. If it does then I will have accomplished my goal as a writer, I will have made an impact on the life of someone I never met and inspired them to do great things.

G'nite  ~K

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. ~ Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment