Sunday, July 22, 2012

Interview with Andrea Buginsky, Author of Natures Unbalance - Book Two of the Chosen Series.



Natures Unbalance

Book Two of The Chosen Series

Was Just Released
.





I was lucky enough to have the opportunity
to interview the author Andrea Buginsky
during her Launch Party July 21st 2012.





Morrigan Aoife: What is the most fun about being a writer?

Andrea Buginsky: Creating my characters and their stories. It's true what other writers say: Your characters talk to you, and take on a life of their own. They take over the story. I love that!


Morrigan Aoife: What is the hardest part of writing for you?

Andrea Buginsky: Getting restarted when I get stuck, or took too long of a break from my manuscript.

Morrigan Aoife: What do you do to prepare for the beginnings? Word association? Do you begin with a characters portrait and write the story for him/her. Start with a place? Or a point in time?

Andrea Buginsky: I'm actually more of a pantser than an planner/organizer. I get an idea, start writing, and let it flow. When I see that I've come to the end of the story, I go back and start editing. That's where most of the crafting actually begins to take place.


Morrigan Aoife: Are there any occupational hazards to being a novelist? Like does the dog forget who you are when you finally emerge from your writing cave?

Andrea Buginsky: LOL No, they're usually in it with me :) Umm... if I really get into my work, I end up with very sore muscles from sitting in front of the computer for too long without moving around. And it's VERY easy to forget the time when you're really in a groove.


Morrigan Aoife: Do you write in your pajamas? :)

If so, remember that before video conferencing your next interview.

Andrea Buginsky: Yes, actually! LoL. I have my very first Skype appearance next month. Must remember to 1) wear actual clothes 2) fix hair 3) wear makeup.

Morrigan Aoife: Do you set a daily writing goal? Do you complete prompted writing for practice or to hone the daily writing habit?

Andrea Buginsky: No, I actually don't do either of those. Just what I feel up to doing day-by-day, hour-by-hour.

Morrigan Aoife: Do you keep little toys or models on your writing desk or tape pictures of your characters on the walls to keep you inspired?

Andrea Buginsky: I have a Harry Potter ornament that I keep on my desk. He's my Muse :) I also have little quotes on my bulletin board.

What I'd love to get is the "12 1/2 Rules of Writing" poster :)
http://www.allposters.com.au/-sp/The-Only-12-1-2-Writing-Rules-You-ll-Ever-Need-Posters_i1334412_.htm

I also have beautifully-framed copies of my book covers on my wall above my desk, thanks to my wonderful mother :)

Morrigan Aoife: Now that is awesome!

Andrea Buginsky: oh, yeah!


Morrigan Aoife: What's a typical (writing) working day like for you?

Andrea Buginsky: After breakfast, I'll check email and Facebook, and play around for a while. Then I take a break (I have to take breaks throughout the day). Then, I'll be on-and-off the computer all day checking email, writing articles, editing articles that are kicked back, and working on my books. I usually mix the writing up with whatever I feel like doing during the day.

Morrigan Aoife: How many articles are you usually handling at the same time as your writing a book and still handling your personal life?

Andrea Buginsky: Lately, I've also been trying my hand at more marketing ideas too. I'll read newsletters and blogs on writing and marketing to help. One of my faves is a daily email I receive called "The Morning Nudge" from children's author Suzanne Lieurance.
http://www.workingwritersclub.com/

I do around 3-5 articles a week. I work on my books on-and-off when I feel up to it. I'm normally at home during the week, so my work gives me something to do around the house.

Morrigan Aoife: ‎3-5 articles a week WOW.

Andrea Buginsky: Comparatively speaking, it's not much. I've heard of freelancers who do more than that in a day :)

Morrigan Aoife: Well they must not have any children home for the summer!

Andrea Buginsky: LOL

Today (Launch Party) has been the LONGEST day I've ever spent in front of the computer!

Morrigan Aoife: ‎I bet it has been a real test of patience.

Andrea Buginsky: Patience, no; fatigue, yes :)

I've actually had a GREAT time today!

Morrigan Aoife: Here's a fun question... if you were to pick your least favorite of all the books you've ever read which would it be and why?

Andrea Buginsky: Believe it or not, "Hunger Games." Now, honestly speaking, I couldn't even get through the whole thing. Not because of the writing, but the content really bothered me, as in made me feel icky. But that tells me that the author did a good job conveying the message of the book.

Morrigan Aoife: I knew right away that book series wasn't for me.. I couldn't make it through the movie trailers... My least fav is also a shocker because the book was written by Tolkien... My least fav is The Silmarillion. Because its mostly description and no story... I have actually tried to read it three or four times and each times I end up throwing it across the room.

Andrea Buginsky: LOL yeah, that's definitely a sign of "no good for me." ;)

Morrigan Aoife: What other genre's have you written? Did you start off with short stories or has books/novels always been your focus.

Andrea Buginsky: I tried my hand at a series of short stories for Middle Grade readers, about six close friends. They were based on me and my imaginary friends from my childhood :) Then, I tried my hand at an adult romance, because I love Danielle Steel, and thought I'd like to write like her. But neither of those really worked, so it was back to the drawing board. Then one day, I was watching the movie "The Seeker: The Dark is Rising," and it hit me: I love fantasy, so why not try to write one? And the rest, as they say, is history :)

Morrigan Aoife: They say you should write what you read, so is it safe to say that you read a lot of fantasy books too?

Andrea Buginsky: oh, yeah! My fave. Loved the "Harry Potter, " "Percy Jackson," and "Twilight" series.

Morrigan Aoife: What kind of research did you do for the chosen series?

Andrea Buginsky: Mostly looking up how to write battle scenes. Then, I had to come up with names for my world and the places on it. I'm currently researching different creatures to use in future books so I can expand the world beyond what readers have already seen. And I had to draw a map to help me learn my way around Phantasma, and set up new areas for The Chosen to explore.

Morrigan Aoife: A map is a great idea you don't want to say they experiences the snow and ice of the north when they are actually traveling east to Drumple.

Andrea Buginsky: Exactly! I'd like to incorporate my map into my future books. First, I have to get someone to draw them to look like maps...mine is garbled gook. :)

Morrigan Aoife: Who's your least fav character?

Andrea Buginsky: The bad guys :)

Morrigan Aoife: Well that would make it easy to write the scenes in which they need to be defeated.

Andrea Buginsky: LOL Definitely. I can't think of any of the main character that I don't really like.

Morrigan Aoife: We know Book One has been out for a while, Book Two is just being released and Book Three is in the making .... How many books do you see in the future for this series?

Andrea Buginsky: As many as I feel like writing :) I already have the concept for Book Four ;)

Morrigan Aoife: Will Halli remain the MC or are you planning to to tell us the stories of other characters?

Andrea Buginsky: I'm going to try to mix them up, though all 6 will be featured in all of the books. For example, my working title for Book Three is "Striker's Apprentice."

Morrigan Aoife: What a wonderful way for us to get to know all of them better.

Morrigan Aoife:  What types of creatures can we expect to see in the series?

Andrea Buginsky: Book Three will introduce a very special creature called the Wikimax Monster: it's a two-headed dog beast. There will also be a mix of large beasts, flying creatures, and medieval-looking monsters.

Morrigan Aoife: Sounds like The Chosen will have their hands full.

Andrea Buginsky: oh, yeah!

Morrigan Aoife: What gave you the idea for the story?

Andrea Buginsky: A game I played with my family. I used our characters, and came up with a storyline for them.

Morrigan Aoife: You have a wide cast of characters it reminds me of the old dungeons and dragons games of the late 80's - early 90's.

Andrea Buginsky: Yup :) It's a Role Playing Game similar to D&D that I'm talking about

Morrigan Aoife: So if you had to pick a favorite of the chosen.. who would it be?

Andrea Buginsky: Halli, but I'm biased....I based her on me :) Silvor is my next fave, and he's based on my wonderful hubby :) But, in truth, I love them all.

Morrigan Aoife: Halli is a bit unsure at first when it comes to her abilities... did you feel that way when you first started writing Fantasy fiction or was it something that just came naturally?

Andrea Buginsky: Writing fantasy seemed to come naturally, but it took a while to realize that was my niche.

Morrigan Aoife: I'm loving the look of these characters... And Ive seen your mad art skills.. So how did you go about creating these guys? Did you search the Internet for reference characters or do you have a friendly illustrator hiding in the basement?

Andrea Buginsky: Internet search. Halli and Silvorhawk are from my covers, so they're permanent. The rest I found searching Bing, so they may change in the future ;)

Morrigan Aoife: I like to do it that way too.

Andrea Buginsky: yeah, much easier....especially since I can't draw anything better than stick figures ;)

That concludes my interview with Andrea Buginsky. I'd like to thank Andrea for taking a few minutes out of her Launch Party to talk about her book series. I'd also like to direct you to the links below where you can read an excerpt from Natures Unbalance, Talk with Andrea and Purchase the books.

Natures Unbalance Book Two of The Chosen Series On Amazon.

Andi's Realm - Blog Spot

Author - Andrea Buginsky on Facebook

Author - Andrea Buginsky on Google Plus

Author - Andrea Buginsky on Google Plus

Author - Andrea Buginsky on Good Reads

Twitter: @andreabuginsky

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the interview, Morrigan. I had a great time!

    Note: My Twitter handle is @andreabuginsky

    ;)

    ReplyDelete