Saturday, January 14, 2012

DWP - Prompt : Playground Rules

Utoh! Today's writing assignment is a prose about playground rules. A prose? What the heck is that? Remember I'm new to this. New to writing? No Way! But definatly new to following the rules. Actually if you think about it, that is common in just about every aspect of my life. I am one of those unique people who follow their own principles and for the most part when not impacted by law, do and say what I want, when I want. (It's easier than you think, I live in the woods, on a tiny farm.)

It's not that I purposefully write with the intention to break the rules, only that before now I never cared to learn them. I always wrote for myself, not to please anyone else. I just picked up a writing instrument or sat down at my computer and spilled out whatever emotions I had across the paper. I enjoyed it and I always got a good response from those who read it. So it worked out well for me.

Now that I'm trying to write for others it's a lot more difficult. My punctuation and grammer are terrible, I jump between tenses at the speed of a frightened rabbit and dialog is not my friend. However there are two things that I would say i'm good at when it comes to writing. I can create a vivid scene and that I can write a piece with such emotion that you'll feel it; it will stir within you.

Let's talk about prose.

It is defined by the dictionary as:

The ordinary language people use in speaking or writing. A literary medium distinguished from poetry especially by its greater irrgeularity and variety of rhythm and it's closer correspondence to the patterns of everyday speech.

It sounds easy, basicly write like you'd talk, produce a scene with a bit of dialog is what I get from that definition so that is what i'm going to do.

So here it is, to be honest i'm not sure if it is "prose" or not but i'm sure someone will tell me... eventually.


Sarah stepped from the schoolhouse doors, pushed her glasses high up on her nose and looked around the playground. “Abigail, come and sit with us.” She heard Alexis and her four plastic clones shout in unison.  Eager for friends Abbey nearly ran over. Sarah wanted to stop her but she could only stare in disbelief as the contents of a pudding cup took flight and hit Abbey in the chest.  Abbey would never tell and certainly no one else ever would. The event would be remembered of as an unfortunate accident. The plastics were A-list and in their school, they made the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment